Marlene Rosa, PhD
This 1-day workshop is appropriate for physical therapists, physicians, psychologists and other practitioners and researchers currently using or interested in the use of SEMG (Surface Electromyography) rehabilitation & new technologies for acquired data from populations diagnosed with acquired brain injuries and musculoskeletal disorders for which SEMG. The workshop will cover SEMG and other imaging technologies used for diagnosis, assessment and therapy in healthcare and other settings. Prior knowledge of SEMG techniques and technologies is recommended, but not required. Individuals with a novice to intermediate knowledge and experience of SEMG could benefit by attending the 2-day workshop given by Pedro Teixeira.
In this 1-day course, participants will learn how to help colleagues and clients using SEMG and other new technologies. Using lectures, demonstration and open discussion. At the conclusion of this 1-day workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify how SEMG assessment and training facilitates improvement in rehabilitation and improves assessment and therapy to accelerates the rehabilitation process;
- Recognize the difference between the myths and realities of SEMG, biofeedback and other rehabilitation techniques and technologies;
- Understand how SEMG assessment and biofeedback can improve the quality of life for ordered and disordered populations patients.
- Identify how an SEMG Rehabilitation program can facilitate progress in cases where other techniques and technologies have difficulty.
- Discuss concepts of SEMG rehabilitation to specific populations
- Discuss the concept of SEMG biofeedback and its relevance to rehabilitation.
- Observe and/or experience specific protocols and SEMG biofeedback techniques.
- Explain how to apply SEMG and biofeedback-based skills to asses and training clients.
- Begin applying those skills to their own practice.
Acquired brain injuries and musculoskeletal disorders changes the lives of millinons of individuals, from all walks of life. The challenges encountered by patients, families, communities and their professional healthcare team can leave them feeling unable to find a way to move forward to complete recovery. From in-patients, to outpatients, to home training, from high performing clients (athletes, business leaders, executives, attorneys, scientists, musicians and artists); from pediatric to geriatric populations Marlena will cover specific applications of SEMG combined with other biofeedback modalities and new technologies to optimize assessment and therapy.
These challenges are not related to lack of skill or experience, but require a set of knowledge and skills not typically taught in Universities. The ability to self-regulate is at the core of how we handle stressful situations. Ideally, we want our brains and our bodies to work in ways that foster a resilient response to stress and we want them to recover quickly once the stressful event is over. SEMG assessment and biofeedback-based skills are specifically aimed at training the mind and body’s ability to self-regulate in challenging situations and optimize performance.
About Marlene Rosa, PhD